The Early Years...
The story began with a lawn mower, a trimmer and a newlywed couple. John & Sally Loyet started J&S Lawn Service in the early 70's, John mowed while Sally used a hand trimmer. Their attention to providing quality service helped grow their business with an uncommonly high rate of customer retention. The name of the business later changed to Greenscape Lawns and as the business grew, so did their family, with the birth of their son, Jason, followed by daughters Jennifer and Jill. By the mid 1980's, Greenscape had grown into one of the top lawn and tree care companies in the St. Louis area.
In 1994, John & Sally seized the opportunity to purchase the property of the former Treeland Nursery at the corner of Dougherty Ferry and Barrett Station Rd, where John had worked just out of high school. The lawn and tree care division was sold to TruGreen, and the family directed focus on turning the tree nursery into a full-service garden center. The company continues to evolve with the energy of a team of passionate, diverse and skilled people that believe in the purpose of plants and the idea that quality of life begins with connecting people to the natural world.
To inspire functional landscapes that promote and support human connection to the natural world.
To be a leader in innovative and forward-thinking outdoor lifestyle concepts by providing nature-inspired solutions for conscious consumers in an immersive and inspirational environment.
Our Management Team...
John & Sally Loyet
Founders and Owners
Affiliations and Contributions
- 2017 Representative from the U.S. in an international garden center “Think Tank” in Paris, France (Tammy Behm)
- 2015/2016/2017 Representative of the Horticulture Industry for the National Pollinator Network’s Million Pollinator Garden Challenge meetings at the White House and Smithsonian Institute (Tammy Behm/Jennifer Schamber)
- 2015 National Winner of Today’s Garden Center Magazine Revolutionary 100
- 2007 Green Profit Magazine’s Young Retailer Award Winner (Jennifer Schamber)
- Landscape & Nursery Association of Greater St. Louis (Jennifer Schamber, past president)
- Western Landscape & Nursery Association (Jennifer Schamber, Board member)
- Missouri Botanical Garden (Tammy Behm, member’s board)
- AmericanHort (Tammy Behm, retailer connect committee, conference speakers-Tammy Behm & Laura Tetley)
- Grow Native! (Jennifer Schamber, committee)
- Horticulture Co-op of Metro St. Louis (Tammy Behm, past president)
- Gateway Greening (instructors for jobs training program, Laura Caldie, Laura Tetley, Madyson Winn)
- Biodiversity STL